Monday, May 31, 2010

Oh Hello Phillips Collection

I decided to check out the Phillips Collection at 21st and Q just because it's close to Dupont Circle and I wanted to also see Adams Morning during the day after going to a museum.  The neighborhoods are close to each other and I've just recently learned how to navigate between them- as long as I stay on Columbia.
I should've known that greatness was in store when the nice woman behind the desk told me that the museum was donation-only because they are between exhibits.  The Phillips Collection was acting like a Smithsonian and I was happy to play along.  
I turned an unassuming corner to see a Van Gogh, Monet, Cezane, and then taking up an entire wall was Renoir's Luncheon of the Boating Party.  They put a long, cushioned bench in front of the painting so you can sit and analyze all of the faces and conversations.
There is also a Rothko Room- only 8 people allowed in at a time to preserve the atmosphere.  I had never seen a Rothko before and it was wonderful to see 4 in person.  An artist named Heuser created a response to Rothko called "Pulse"- the 3-D paper images were hung along the stairwell.
My favorite painting was by Marcoussis- Painting #17 on Glass.  I also stood in front of Canyon by Frankenthaler for a long time.  Despite that fact that I was alone in the room with one of the Phillips Collection's many attendants.  That was the one downside of the collection- There were multiple attendants in every room.  All wearing black flats and stylish outfits with a hint of hipster.  I definitely felt watched.  And more than one judgy look was registered in response to a museum goers commentary.  But it was overwhelmingly worth it to see such a wonderful collection.  

No comments:

Post a Comment